Nairobi Delicious Chicken Gizzards.
Kentucky fried what? It’s all about that Nairobi flavor and we've got the recipe right here!
Serve With: rice
- 500gms chicken gizzards, rinsed
- 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups oil for deep frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Place the chicken gizzards, celery, onion, bay leaves, and 1 teaspoon of celery salt into a saucepan, and pour in enough water to cover the gizzards by 1 inch.
- Bring the gizzards to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 30mins.
- Pour in more water during simmering, if needed, to keep gizzards covered.
- Remove the gizzards to a bowl, discard the celery and onion, and reserve the broth.
- Season the gizzards with ½ teaspoon of celery salt, the seasoned salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, cumin, and hot sauce, stirring to combine well.
- Pour 1/3 cup of the reserved broth over the seasoned gizzards, and refrigerate for 15 minutes or more, stirring often. (Save or freeze the remaining broth for another use, if desired.)
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 190 degrees C. Place the flour in a plastic bag and pour in the gizzards with their seasoning.
- Shake the bag to thoroughly coat the gizzards with flour.
- Gently lower about 1/4 of the gizzards per batch into the hot oil, and fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes per batch. Drain the gizzards on paper towels, and serve hot.
Copyright@ 2019 Kenchic.com